The Speak app takes advantage of state-of-the-art artificial intelligence technology. It will read any text captured by the camera. It can be used to read anything from street signs to newspapers. The app has been specifically designed to detect text in “bad photos,” for instance when the text is rotated or far away. In addition it knows to detect relevant text only, for example when photographing a page in a book, text captured on the adjacent page will be ignored.
Simply point your phone at any image and tap anywhere on the screen to start text detection. The app will detect the significant text, zoom on it and read it out loud.
Supports any Latin based language: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, Dutch, Danish, Turkish, Swedish, Finnish, Hungarian, Romanian, Czech, Slovak, Vietnamese.
Make sure the requested languages are enabled in Android’s Text-to-Speech settings.
* Automatically detects the relevant text in the image.
* Automatically straightens the text and zooms on it.
* Automatically detects the text’s language (does not support mixed languages).
* Supports very small text and far away text.
* Automatically inverts upside-down pages when in TalkBack mode.
* Images can be sent for detection from any other app by the share function.
* Has a continuous detection mode for text, objects and colors.
* Detected text is automatically copied to the clipboard (can later be pasted).
* Detected text can be viewed and edited upon detection.
* Enables setting a different TTS engine than the system engine.
* Enables disabling language detection and always using default language.
* Special user interface when running with TalkBack accessibility mode.
The user interface has been upgraded and now consists of clear control buttons. In addition a tutorial was added to the app and it is in all supported languages.
The Speak app for Android can be downloaded from the Play Store here.
The app requires Android 5.0 and up.