Dr. Howard Kaplan, the developer of the iOS app, Spotlight Text, sits down with the team at Cool Blind Tech to discuss his amazing eBook reading app for people with low vision problems.
Dr. Kaplan tells us the story of why he became a Retina surgeon, and how his concern for his patients led to him becoming an accessibility advocate. Many of his patients are dealing with Macular Degeneration, Retinitis Pigmentosis, or complications resulting from Diabetes. After the launch of Kindle eBook reader, Dr. Kaplan was disturbed to find that most of his patients could not read digital material, and there was no good reason for this to be the case. After fruitlessly trying to get the content providers to make their material accessible, he began the process of trying to do it himself. Spotlight Text works in conjunction with Bookshare, a company that provides more than 250,000 eBooks to persons with vision problems.
Here is a description of the app from the App Store:
Spotlight Text is the first eBook reader crafted specifically for individuals with vision loss. How to get started, instructions, and watch a video demonstration here.
“We Read to Know That We Are Not Alone.” – C.S. Lewis
– Access Bookshare’s 250,000+ collection of books (including best sellers and new releases).
– Designed for maximum legibility
– Multiple reading modes including one designed specifically for individuals with RP Constricted Field
– Autoplay mode with customizable speeds
– Increase or decrease font size to your desire
– Simple and easy to navigate user interface
– Unlimited Screen Size with Apple TV or Direct HDMI Contact
Visit http://www.SpotlightText.com to learn more about the application and for help signing up for Bookshare.
Focus Reading Technology is dedicated to the belief that through superior product design incorporating cutting edge user interface technology and access to e-content, visual and print disabilities can be addressed and overcome, and the joy of reading restored.