The Alexa app allows you to change the ‘wake word’ from Alexa to one of three alternatives. Here’s how you can change Alexa’s name to Amazon, Echo or Computer.
How to change the name Alexa responds to:
- Launch the Alexa smartphone app or visit alexa.amazon.com
- Select the menu icon in the top-left corner.
- Select Settings.
- Find the Echo device you would like to edit and
- Scroll down and select Wake Word.
- Select where it says Alexa in blue.
- Now you can pick from the following alternatives: Amazon, Echo, or Computer
- Select the one you want, then select done and wait a moment for the change to be made.
- Now select Save and exit the app.
Saying, “Echo” on its own works just as well as “Alexa” did before, but saying a sentence with the word “echo” in it did not cause the speaker to wake up accidentally.
Also, changing the wake word to “Amazon” did not cause the speaker to wake up every time we mentioned the company name. If we started a sentence with the wake word, it would often start listening, but sentences containing Amazon after the first word could be said as normal with no interruptions from Alexa.
Update: You can also change the “Wake Word” by voice command, just say “Alexa change name.” Your Amazon device will ask you to choose between Amazon, Computer or Echo. Say the name you want and you can start using the new “Wake Word” in as little as a few seconds.